Role: Electronic Engineer (Power/IoT)
We are looking for a skilled and highly motivated individual to lead the hardware development of an integrated hardware/software platform that teaches young people in Zambia the fundamentals of building a decentralised renewable energy supply. You will be working in a small team to deliver an innovative product which has the potential to make renewable electricity accessible to millions of people.
- Leading the design and development of an internet connected renewable energy platform
- Ownership of PCB development – specification, design, prototyping and testing
- Participating in design studies to produce detailed specifications for electronic design
- Developing a power delivery module
- Developing an IoT communications module
- Supporting the development of educational materials, teaching electronic engineering
- Collaborating with multidisciplinary team members including teachers, designers and software engineers.
- Completed BEng or equivalent experience in electronic engineering, electrical engineering or a related field
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Familiarity with mixed signal design, embedded systems design, battery technologies and power electronics
- Familiarity with IoT services and big data pipeline infrastructure.
- Familiarity with wireless communication technologies (Bluetooth, GSM)
- Experience selecting and using microcontrollers and their peripheral circuitry (signal conditioning, board-level power supplies)
- Good understanding of DC-DC power converter design and development. Ideally you would have some experience building a switching power supply from scratch.
- Knowledge of microprocessor architecture and design (AVR, ARM, PIC)
- Experience of C or C++ programming for microcontrollers
- Hands on experience with electronics testing equipment (scope, DMM, sig-gen, PSU)
- Experience creating specifications and reading datasheets
- Passion for renewable energy and international development
- Experience with PCB design
- Leadership and project management experience
- Knowledge of battery charging circuitry (lithium-ion and lead acid batteries)
- Knowledge of microcontroller direct register access and low level programming
- Experience in the use of CAD tools (Eagle, KiCad) for electronic design
- Familiarity with control theory and digital implementation of controls
- Experience in modeling, simulation, and testing of electronics
- Experience in Africa or similar market with bottom of the pyramid customers